Monday, May 08, 2006

A true friend's reply...

"I was worried. The moment when he suddenly called me and asked me for her number, I remember when she told me that they bumped into each other earlier. I reluctantly gave him her number; I knew he was up to something. I thought it was alright.

A few days later, they began talking over the phone for long hours. Even when I was out with her, he called a few times. The courtship began. He was someone I knew, and I know of his reputation. I tried to be fair and did not pass judgments, “maybe those were just rumours”, I thought.

I tried to let her know as much as I know, so that she can decide on her own. But at the same time, I tried not to influence her. That point of time, they were seeing each other regularly. Even I was put aside, not that I’m in the picture, but I know where this is leading to. I left her, praying that she’ll find that someone and that she’ll be happy and grow old with that someone.

A month later, I received her call. He was pushing her to decide. I gave her my opinion, but I know her well enough to know how she wanted it to go. It did not matter what I’ve said. I can only give her support. I very frankly told her, “there will be two endings; one is that your gamble pays off and you’ll be happy together with him; another – he is the person of his notoriety.”

Deep down inside of me, I know exactly how it will end. But I did not know why I did not stop her. I wanted her to learn from this and be wise next time. I too was at a crossroad. But I finally allowed myself to ‘let it be’.

I am not angry with all that has happened to her. I know that she has grown out of it. We grow through pain. I know this process will only help her find and choose that someone when he comes by."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A true friend would also say this to you, to take heart "in the sublime keeping of the general & unspecific belief that God is answering our prayers in His own time & way".

22 :)

Anonymous said...

inaction is sin sometimes.

well, we all learn from mistakes. next time, don't just let it be. take responsibility. PREVENT the hurt. Even if it means putting frenship @ risk.

They/she may nt understand the pain now, bt maybe one day they will. Just think DENTIST. if u dun remove a bad teeth now, it WILL rot and destroy the whole head.

Anonymous said...

wat the heck does dentist have to do with this? gosh!